Monday, March 1, 2010

Silver looks nice too...

Congratulations to team Canada.

Some thoughts while watching the game:
  • Canada came out STRONG, just like we knew they would.
  • That said, they blew their load physically halfway through the game.
  • US had the worst special teams play I think I've ever seen by anyone, in any age group, in any league.
  • AWESOME save by Miller in the third.
  • Sidney Crosby is NOT a great skater. Wanna know who is? Patrick Kane.
  • I knew that Canada would be on their heels in the third, as they were probably the worst third-period team in the entire tournament.
  • Canada used the four-on-four to compensate for poor skating with good passing and positional play. Honestly, it became very apparent during the third period that, although Canada has supremely good all-around hockey players, their skating is largely suspect.
  • The US totally left Ryan Miller out to dry during the OT.
  • Bride of Kovalev totally called it. Sidney Fucking Crosby. Halfway through the third period she said, "Watch the US tie it up and Crosby score in overtime."
  • I can handle the US losing to Canada. What I can't handle is watching that nut-punching, overrated child, who was largely invisible for the entire Olympics, score the overtime goal to win the Gold medal. Ugh.
Looking at that list, it reads like sour grapes. And I can rail about Canada's shortcomings all I want, but they won the gold, so there's really no point arguing. So I'll put my bitterness aside for a moment and say congratulations to Canada. They may not have been perfect, but they got the job done when it mattered.


In other news, Finland won the Bronze medal, so Saku has that to go along with his Silver from Torino. It's too bad he'll probably never get another chance at Gold.


Later last night, BoK and I kicked Bowser's ass to make ourselves feel better. Even more satisfying than a (well-deserved) cross-check to Corey Perry's face.

3 comments:

Number31 said...

Jumbo Joe = Big Nothing.

I was bitching about how annoyingly invisible "the great" Crosby was the past 3 games when he turned around and scored. My brother was like "...Did he just score?" And then we laughed.

Fear! Next Olympics (if the NHL is still allowed in them) I bet it'll be Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene, and Eberle and McGuire will explode. Even the mute button won't be able to contain him!

A Concerned Citizen said...

Remind me never to take a Shark in a playoff pool. It's a rule I've lived by for a while now, but I'm afraid I'll succumb to temptation and hype in a moment of weakness.

I am so glad I didn't have to listen to McGuire on the broadcast I watched. He really is ridiculous.

D Kane, 18, Vancouver said...

Haha so right about the Canada/US game.

As for Crosby, you're right, he doesn't have a good set of legs on him. He can handle the puck pretty well though.

In the interview afterwards he said he had no idea how it went in. He just put it to the net. In my experience, if you are in need of goals, just start putting them towards the net. Something is bound to go in sooner or later.

And that's exactly what he did. He didn't mean to score. He'll take it, but the shot was more to put pressure on Miller than anything.

What an exciting game! And while Canada is now the undisputed Olympic Champion in Ice Hockey, you can't say the US didn't give us a run for our money.

Congrats to both teams on their respective medals.