Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Team Who Would Be Champions

I have a new philosophy, one that may challenge the very core of my hockey soul. And like any good philosophy or religious creed, I don't mind casting it aside when it doesn't suit me. Bride of Kovalev has shot more holes in this argument than a cheese grater, but I'm giving it a shot.

Once a team has been eliminated in the playoffs, its fans should immediately start cheering for the team that just beat theirs. Imagine how embarassing it was for Bruins fans when, in 2004, the team that upset them proceeded to get swept in the next round. Imagine the perverse sense of pride Habs fans felt when they said, "Hey, at least we got eliminated by the Stanley Cup Champion" when it was all over.

Just like in The Man Who Would Be King, the winning team can say "We're not putting your city to the torch, and we will not rape your daughters. From now on, we are one."
I can honestly say that while I have always Hated* the Bruins (see Neely, Cam), I certainly respect the way they have overcome a HUGE amount of adversity this season. I would also get some sick "I-told-you-so" pleasure in watching Carbonneau's predecessor achieve ultimate victory. This may be a hard pill for the Devils fans who are crying in their beers at this moment, and I can honestly say that my family would disown me and take out full-page ads in the New York Times accusing me of kicking puppies were I to cheer for the Islanders after a victory over the Rangers, but it makes sense in some twisted, roundabout way.

Can't the Habs say that they were second-best in 2004? At the very least, if you get beat by the ultimate winner, isn't that better than losing to someone who goes SPLAT in the next round? I wonder what Leafs fans did in 1993--did they cheer against the team that beat them in game 7 of the Campbell Conference Finals, and by proxy, root FOR the hated Canadiens? Or did they swallow their (minimal--this is the Leafs we're talking about) pride and cheer for the Kings?

Bride of Kovalev has reminded me that I have a second-favorite team, and that I am not permitted to cheer for the Bruins should they win this round. So, should the Habs lose to the Bruins, then, Go Rangers! After all, what was I thinking? I friggin' hate the Bruins. Buncha blue-collar Don-Cherry lovin douchebags.

*English nerds begone! I meant to capitalize "Hated"

No comments: