Friday, April 18, 2008

Complete and utter Stupidity

I do not like the Montreal Canadiens right now. I hate the players I was watching tonight.

There are two basic foundations for hockey, and most sports: Skill, and Decisions. The cliche is that one can have all the skill in the world, but with bad decisions, one is still nothing. Conversely, one can make all the right decisions, but still fall short of being able to compete because of a lack of skill to implement those decisions.

The Montreal Canadiens tonight, to a man, all made stupid decisions. Not just once, not twice. Every time a player in red touched the puck, he invariably made a stupid decision. That may be harsh, and yes, the Habs played well in the first period. But for the rest of the game, the team lost its collective mind. Markov, Kovalev, Price, both Kostitsyns, Plekanec, Higgins, Ryder, Hamrlik. Each of them made errors so blatant that he would have been benched long before, had the rest of his teammates not also made mind-numbingly stupid decisions that would have created a domino effect of benching the entire team (except for Begin, Kostopoulos, and Smolinski). And since Carbonneau cannot skate just three players and a backup goalie, he had to keep rolling four lines of his retarded bunch of jerks.

I can deal with a team that lacks skill. There is honor and pride in going out and defying expectations. The Bruins did it this season. Believe me, I am taking NOTHING away from the Bruins. They may lack the skill of some NHL teams, but they have made good decisions during the playoffs, and during the regular season. The Canadiens, on the other hand, have shown what skill they possess--I think they have a wealth of it. They also showed tonight that they do not give a damn about making good decisions. I don't know what the problem is, but until they figure it out, I will be furious with this team. I might prefer them to lose this series than to slip past a deserving opponent.

The Bruins, no matter what happens, deserve to win this series. The Canadiens are arrogant and stupid. Note: I checked my thesaurus and I cannot find a word stronger than the word "stupid," so it will have to suffice for now. If Boston does win this series, count me in on the bandwagon for the rest of their playoff ride. Hockey fans deserve a team that uses both skill and good decisions.

Maybe the Habs will bounce back next game. But I hope to Christ that they actually play. I was incredibly unhappy with the way they won on Tuesday (luck) and as far as I'm concerned, they have been a disgraceful bunch of frauds ever since game two began. If the Habs win that way on Saturday, it will be a very hard pill to swallow, knowing that the Bruins were better than the Habs, and yet justice was not served. I want a fair series. I want Montreal to play like Montreal.
But somehow, I don't think Montreal will do that, and I do not think they will win another game.

No comments: