Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On another note:

Can someone tell me where these announcers get off telling us that it's "tradition" for players to not even touch the Wales or Campbell trophies? This is a VERY recent development. I remember team captains as recently as 1999 holding, and in some cases, raising the trophy, especially at home.

Now, there may be something to a "don't pretend it's the Stanley Cup" mindset. I'm sure many of us remember the Red Wings in 1995 raising the Campbell trophy over their heads in celebration, only to be swept by the Devils. That, I believe, was the beginning of this "tradition" of being somewhat deferential about the conference trophy, but players still were at least HOLDING the trophy for the photo-op and to reward their fans.

I think I can recall this no-touch bullshit really beginning in 2003 when the Ducks and Devils both refused to even touch their trophies. If someone can provide some evidence of this in earlier years, please enlighten me.

Bottom line, is this may be superstition, but it sure as hell isn't a long-standing tradition, and there sure isn't a lot of precedent for it. And these announcers (I'm looking at you Mike Emrick--but then again, you think Andrei and Dany Markov are brothers, retard) ought to know better than to throw out ignorant bullshit that insults the intelligence of real fans.

No comments: