Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sigh. I guess it all makes sense, in some weird way

So. After a tremendously bad day with work yesterday, I come in at 7:30 today (an hour earlier than usual) in order to try to fix yesterday's bad bullshit, and after getting the most pressing business out of the way, checked on Habsinsideout. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the news that Patrice Brisebois is the Habs' candidate for the Bill Masterton Trophy. Tomorrow is April Fool's day, so I'm assuming today's story is legitimate. Quoth the Gazette, "The Canadiens' veteran defenceman is his team's nominee for this year's Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, an annual prize awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. The nomination will be announced today by the NHL and the Canadiens."

So let me get this straight. I've been busting my ass at my job, came in on Sunday to make sure things were going well, had my ass kicked by two different printing companies yesterday, and am doing my utmost best to sort out the resulting messes and get stuff DONE, and this douchebag gets nominated for a damn trophy?
I suppose I should just let deadlines pass, do a thoroughly shitty job, and wonder why my students don't respect me. I guess in the wacky land that is Bob Gainey's Montreal Canadiens, I'd get promoted in no time.

This is not a knock on my job. I enjoy my job and the different challenges that come up. Every day I learn something new. This IS a knock on the crazy-ass organization that is the Canadiens. They trade number one goalies for untested rookies whom they try to anoint as gods, they fire good coaches too soon, fire bad coaches too late, and keep horrible defensemen who have no business in the league and nominate them for awards.

Wow.

4 comments:

Capt. Sparrow said...

I've killed the Bruins in the past for the way that they handle their prospects but I think I am starting to jump on board with the way they are handling Rask. When looking at goaltending as a whole, the majority of the game-breaking NHL netminders have spent a long time (probably too long) down in the minors for seasoning (i.e. Ryan Miller). The Habs decided to take the opposite approach last season and after a 2nd round tool job in the playoffs at the hands of the Flyers, Carey Price has never been the same. The Habs management screwed themselves last season by trading Huet who could have possibly carried that team to the Cup finals, and they have screwed themselves for the future as well. Price will be locked up in a straight-jacket in no time. Its too bad because I was really looking forward to Price/Rask battles just like the old days of Roy/Moog.

A Concerned Citizen said...

I HATED Andy Moog! Those were some great times though.

Number31 said...

Breezer? Well, he is dedicated. You gotta give him that... Not like he's going to win the trophy anyway ;) Besides, who else would the media vote for...

A Concerned Citizen said...

31: You're right, it is the Montreal sports writers who vote on the trophy. Here's what Dave Stubbs, from the Montreal Gazette, had to say in response to my incredulity:

"It's not a joke, Geoff. Members of the Montreal chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association voted Brisebois as the Canadiens' nominee for the award."

So I guess that puts me in my place. And who indeed would I vote for, were I given the opportunity? Koivu's already won it, so that's out. Tanguay might be one. Or I might pull a Time Magazine Man-of-the-Year crazy stunt and choose the Montreal Canadiens Fans, for putting up with the Houle-Tremblay years and the current Gainey foolishness. THAT is dedication.