Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy UFA day!

Ahh, the smell of pine needles, cranberries, and dinner slowly cooking in the oven. Oh right, that's Christmas. Still, today is a magical day, full of mystery and suspense. What will I get? What will my friends get?

Too bad the Grinch seems to have taken over the gift-giving for this household lately. We have ten wonderful players, most of whom will be going elsewhere, including one of the most classy and hard-working individuals to wear the CH. Saku Koivu wasn't even worth a contract OFFER to Bob Gainey, who had plenty of cap room to work with, and could probabaly have locked the captain up on the (relatively) cheap. So much for a classy organization.

So for this fan, this year's Christmas/UFA season takes a slightly different twist. I've always said that if you're going to buy a jersey with a player's name on it, you'd better be prepared to cheer for them after they're done wearing the logo you have on the front of that jersey. So for me, I am interested in seeing where Francis Bouillon will end up. I will support Saku Koivu no matter where he goes, but I hope it's to a Cup winner. Alex Kovalev will always be my long-lost cousin, even if he plays in Toronto (blech!)

This year, I'm not holding out much hope for what I'll find under my own tree. What I am excited about is the possibilities awaiting my favorite players. I hope Koivu gets everything he wants. He deserves it. I hope Bouillon goes somewhere where his thundering bodychecks and fireplug fighting are appreciated. Kovalev is Kovalev, so I'm not worried about him. Merry Christmas, fellas. May all your dreams come true.

2 comments:

Capt. Sparrow said...

I too think of this day like xmas. So far Santa has left Stve Begin under the xmas tree. I don't know too much about him, but from what I have read he sounds like he will fit the mold that the Bruins are trying to build. It sounds as if Phil Kessel is all but out the door already (a sad time for B's fans) but I'm hoping maybe Santa will bring him somebody like Danny Heatley as this team is gonna be in much need of a goal scorer in my opinion. This is what I dont understand about this team, you finally get a good, young talent that you can build around as your franchise player and your already trying to ship him out the door (SEE: Thomas Kaberle for Phil Kessel trade gone bad on draft day). Santa please save xmas for not only my team, but for Habs fans as well! (Hey its the holiday season so we can all get along for a little bit)...

A Concerned Citizen said...

You'll love Begin. He's hard-headed. And I can't believe the Bruins are trying to trade Kessel. Of all the Bruins, he's got the scariest long-term potential (from a Habs persepctive).