Monday, July 6, 2009

Bob Gainey to fans/Alex Kovalev: "Fuck off."

Bob Gainey has said, in no uncertain terms, that Kovalev will not be back with the Canadiens. He said he made an offer, but Kovalev took too long to get back to him. Which invites the question, "How long did you wait, Bob?" My gut tells me the answer would be "Not very long." Gainey started dealing for overpriced centers the day before free agency began, which makes it probable that the allegedly patient Gainey waited perhaps 24 hours before throwing up his hands, hollering "I give up!" and bringing on a contract that we can only hope will be worth its chunk of the salary cap.

What can I, and the 100 other fans who rallied at the Bell Center in support bringing back at least ONE of the players we have grown to love, say in response to Gainey?
"Up yours" comes to mind.


Another question we'll have to deal with here at "KK, BB" will be what to do with the KK part of our name. Do we keep it, since we would risk alienating our thousands of loyal readers otherwise? Do we try to find another Canadien who bears some family resemblance? Or do we change the focus of the blog to follow whichever team Kovalev goes to? Likely, we'll remain a Habs/Bruins blog, and I will stay proud of my big-nosed Russian heritage and eerie resemblance to that enigmatic winger. Who knows? Maybe he'll become a Bruin and then we'll all be one happy family.

3 comments:

Icebuddy said...

Or a Senator and everyone will be vaguely disappointed.

Capt. Sparrow said...

The Senators? he signed with the Senators??? He could have at least signed with the Maple Laughs and made things REALLY interesting. That would have really stuck it to Gainey.

In any case, I do feel your pain Geoff. I know its any day now before my team's best player is shipped out the door. After all, thats the Bruins way.

A Concerned Citizen said...

Ugh. I wish he had gone to the Leafs. It's going to be really interesting to see if he gets on a line with Alfredsson and Heatley/Spezza.

What do you guys think the odds are that Koivu will become a Bruin? I promise you, if he signs in Boston I'll root for the Bruins as long as he's on the team or Bob Gainey is still GM. It's time to show the Habs some tough love!