Tuesday, July 1, 2008

T-minus 1 hour and 48 minutes to free agency...

Free agency is less than 2 hours away. Outside of the playoffs, this is my favorite time for hockey (at least the first couple days anyway).

There are mixed sources that the Bruins are going to make a run after Marian Hossa. The Boston papers are saying that there is absolutely no possibility of the B's nabbing him. However, sources out of NY say the Bruins are putting together a serious offer of 12 years, in the range of $100 million for the most sought after figure on the market.

As much as I would LOVE to see Marian Hossa in a Bruins uniform, and how badly this team needs a player of his statue, I do not think it would be smart for the Bruins to make an offer such as this. Hossa is 29, and to sign a guy for that long, who will turn 30 next season, does not make sense from a long term standpoint, especially for a team who seems to be building from a youth movement (although you never know what management of this team will do). Besides lets face the fact, this team WILL NOT be making a serious run at the cup anytime soon. After watching this Bruin team against the Canadiens in the playoffs this year, I can take the homer route and say that this team is one Marian Hossa type of player away from being a serious contender (I think I was at the time), but from a realistic standpoint, Hossa will not solve this teams problems, and if anything he will only bring on more future problems for this team. I think he is too big of a cap hit for a team that needs a lot more than just a prominent goal scorer.

I love the idea of the Glen Murray for Mathieu Schneider swap. Murray, in my eyes, has seen his better days behind him, and realistically doesn't fit in this team long term. Schneider, I think can be a Chris Chelios type and play well into his 40's. The NHL is set up now for puck moving defensemen to extend the longevity of their careers. Spend the money to pick up a young, puck moving defenseman a la Brian Campell, Wade Redden. The Bruins already have a great player in Patrice Bergeron coming back this season. That's the equivilant of a top freee agent signing itself.

So if Hossa signs with the Hub, I guess that leaves me no choice but to jump on the bandwagon. If he goes somewhere else, I would give kudos to the B's brass for not making that long term commitment. Copy what the the Canadiens are doing. Build from within, then spend the money on the key pieces to put you over the top. I can't believe I just said that...

3 comments:

A Concerned Citizen said...

So, whadda ya think of Michael Ryder? I think he'll do well in Boston. I also think he's the type of player that will give his old team fits when they come to play.

A Concerned Citizen said...

By the way, thanks for picking up the slack from my laziness. We'll see if we can keep some discussion here during the broing summer months.
I'm thinking of changing the name here to something more representative of all its participants.

Capt. Sparrow said...

I like the new name. I think Ryder will benefit greatly from playing with playmakers like Savard, and Bergeron (when he is 100%). The only thing that aggitates me a little bit about this signing is that Ryder is simply there to replace Murray. Murray in my mind will no doubt be bought out now. So if thats the case, then how do you get better here? I would have liked to see them make a serious run at Brian Campbell. A puck moving defenseman is what this team is seriously lacking. I know they sucked scoring wise last year, but they are getting Bergeron back and thats like an offensive signing in itself. They have no one that can quaterback the powerplay. Now, if they pull off the rumored Murray/Scnieder trade, and fit it in the cap some how, then I will praise the almighty Peter Chiarelli.

On a side note, what the hell are the caps thinking signing your ol' friend Jose?