Friday, April 17, 2009

An explanation

Folks may have noticed that I gave Giguere points for the win as well the shutout last night. Folks, that is my fault for not checking the box score and verifying who was in net. Frankly, it never even occurred to me that Giguere would not play. I know Hiller had a good season, but I would never in a thousand years have anticipated the Ducks sitting their Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winning goalie.

In any case, a good journalist checks his facts, and I feel pretty stupid, since it's my job to educate young student journalists about this. I have removed the two shutout points.

Now what remains is a tough decision. The vote from the participants about backup goalies getting win points was split down the middle, and I recall saying I was leaning towards not allowing them.

So my job is to cast the tie-breaking vote; one that affects my own points. I go back to my complete puzzlement with Giguere. Had I even the slightest inkling he would not play, I would not have chosen him. I suppose that's my own fault. In any case, I ask myself, "Am I acting selfishly by letting myself have the point for the Ducks' win?"

The choice, I leave to you.


I think I am going to take Derek's advice from now on. In future pools, participants will choose a TEAM's goaltending.

No comments: