Monday, January 26, 2009

In Defense of All-Star Games

ESPN take note: the world does not revolve around basketball.

With that off my chest, I would like to offer my support for what we watched last night. It was, probably, the most exciting All-Star game I've ever seen. Perhaps that's because of my own slanted opinions about Montreal, but it seems the atmosphere was electric this weekend. This was a great opportunity for the game to be showcased for fans and casual observers alike (ESPN, you missed a good one. Oh wait: No defense, juke and jiving showing off; I guess that's your typical NBA game). In fact, the NHL could probably learn a thing or two about itself from this weekend. Case in point: Montreal seems to make a much better venue for an All-Star weekend than, say, last year's yawner in Atlanta. Or that Alex Ovechkin is a MUCH better ambassador for the game than Sidney Crosby could ever hope to be.


Given all of that, I wouldn't change a thing about the All-Star game. I fully support the league's decision to punish teams that refuse to send representatives. I love that each team gets a player in the All-Star game. Back in the bad old days in the late 90's when the playoffs were out of reach halfway through the season, I still took some satisfaction and pride in seeing at least one Canadien at the All-Star game. I would be pulling for him during the skills competition, and would root for a good performance at the game. Of course, there is the argument that the All-Star game should have only the absolute best players around. This would perhaps make it more representative of the NHL's best talent, but not representative of the league. This is a league-wide activity, and each team DESERVES to see one of their own on the roster. More to the point, the FANS deserve to see at least one of their guys there. They pay good money for their center-ice packages and their team sweaters, and the league owes them at least the minor satisfaction of seeing one of their guys in an All-Star jersey.

The Red Wings should consider themselves extremely fortunate that the League doesn't do it the way they used to, when the defending Stanley Cup champions would play the rest of the league's best players. As it is, I can understand why the Wings wanted to give their players a rest, but to remove them entirely is a disservice to the fans. When the Stanley Cup champions refuse to send even one representative to a game where EVERY OTHER TEAM has sent one, it smacks of arrogance. It says, "We're better than the rest of the league, and we don't have to be part of this bullshit." Believe me, I know that Nick Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk need some rest. But the Wings have only themselves to blame for sitting out the two for the All-Star game, but not for a regular-season game. THAT tells everyone that Detroit feels the All-Star game is a waste of time.

Personal bias aside, Sidney Crosby respected the fans enough to at least SHOW UP. He knows the fans who voted him in don't consider this a waste of time. Are Datsyuk and Lidstrom so worn out they can't stand up and wave to a crowd for 30 seconds? If that's the case, I think they need more than just a weekend off.

And for this fan, the All-Star game is not a waste of time. I have always loved seeing "les boys" at the game and last night was wonderful. I was cheering for Price, even though I expected him to get shelled. I cheered when Markov got a goal, and was going nuts during overtime and in the shootout when Kovalev made his bid for MVP.

It was awesome to see the rivalry between Boston and Montreal played out in watching Kovalev go head-to-head with Tim Thomas, without the pressure of regular-season standings riding on the outcome. It was meaningful, but it was still allowed to be fun. This is the time when we can remind ourselves that we are all fans of the game. Captain Sparrow and Icebuddy will no doubt be giving me hell for Thomas stoning Kovy, and we can joke about it.

I like things the way they are. I don't want to see home-ice riding on this game. This is a time for the players to enjoy themselves, and give the fans some enjoyment as well. I think that's the point of the All-Star game. EVERYBODY wins. It's like our own NHL Special Olympics. It doesn't matter if you're a depressed Thrashers fan--you get to see Kovalchuk play with the best in the world. It doesn't matter if you really really hate the Bruins--Kovalev would not have won the MVP award without the help of Tim Thomas.

This is our game, the fans' game. I like that we get to vote in the starters. After all, we all get to see at least one of our guys there anyway, so what's the difference? There are folks who say that it was unfair that Montreal fans stuffed the ballot box for the Habs. Well, this doesn't happen every year. In years past, we were considered lucky to get one guy there at all. So enough already. This was an exciting year to have an All-Star game. Next year we won't have one because of the Olympics, and the following year they're talking about Phoenix or Carolina. Provided Phoenix even has a team by then, do you think that game will have one-tenth of the excitement? That excitement was generated by fans who care about their team and their sport.

All those who whine about the All-Star game should watch the third period, overtime and shootout from last night. They should listen to the fans who packed the stands, who roared for Ovechkin, who turned all "Rocky IV" on Tim Thomas, and who made the Bell Centre shake when Kovalev was named MVP. That was not a waste of time. That was an event that was worth while; one I will remember for a long time.

2 comments:

Capt. Sparrow said...

I have it on the dvr and I plan on watching it as soon as I get home. I have not watched any of it yet and I am really looking forward to it as everyone that I talk to is raving about it.

lol The highlight of the skills comp was watching Mark Streit falling flat on his face.

A Concerned Citizen said...

Oooohh sorry about the spoilers then.